I really love jackets, its kind of a fact of life when you have thyroid problems (because I get cold so easy!) so I’ve decided to start making some of mine. I have a pretty weird taste in clothing – most of my stuff is from junk stores because that’s just what I like – so its hard to find something off the rack (not to mention my arms are abnormally long for a woman).
The portfolio project for this item can be found here.
I’ve also loved Bomber Jackets since I was introduced to the Doctor Who companion Ace McShane (photo to the left). Hers isn’t exactly my style, I don’t wear that much black (when I can help it anyway, its not my fault all the good fandom shirts are in black!), its a very eighties look, and I don’t like jackets that you have to work that hard to keep on (its much too big for her). So now I get my own bomber jacket, done in colors that are a bit more me.
I stopped by the fabric store and started looking through their patterns for one that I liked – the one that Emily used was French, and although my mom took French in High School she’s pretty rusty at this point and sometimes her help is anything but (love you mom!) – and was finally able to narrow my decision down to one of two patterns: McCall’s M7100 or Butterick B6181. I finally settled on the Butterick Pattern for two reasons; it was on sale (which is always a great thing!) and because the the example for the McCall’s had been sewn in Camo Fabric and that’s always a turn off for me (I live in the south and it is everywhere and gets old very quickly). I’m doing it in two colors like pattern D. Butterick ranks their patterns and claims that this one is “easy.” The jury is still out.
I ended up really pleased with what I made. Considering that this is a practice run for the Rapunzel Bomber (because I didn’t want to risk ruining that fabric!) thats cut from an old set of curtains and other random fabric that I think was intended to become curtains that I found in a thrift store (I am NOT joking), it turned out well.
Its actually pretty flattering on me, except when its zipped up (shown left!) and I have my hands in my pockets, but in the event that I need to do that (its very warm without even zipping it) I’ll be so cold I won’t care about how I look. Theres plenty of room in it – I cut it as a size ten, although I’m actually much closer to an eight – and as you can see in the picture to the right, I can even put a sweater under it (and it looks really nice with that sweater!)
- Contrast color:
- Main Color
- 2 yards of 2 inch wide elastic
- Fusible Interfacing
- Sigh. I almost didn’t make this just because of how much I hate working wiht interfacing. Here’s to hoping it turns out better than I’m expecting. (the stuff just never works for me!)
- Pearl Snaps
- I already owned these, I inherited them from my grandmother after she passed away and I think they’re beautiful.
Cutting the Fabric
Cut from the Gold
- Front hem band
- Front facing
Cut from the Blue
Cut from Both
- Back (I cut the liner just a bit wider)
This is an unlined pattern, but I decided that I wanted to add a liner for a variety of reasons including: a little extra warmth (its a pretty thin fabric), added durability, and because it just looks cool.
I bagged the liner, which was the best decision I’ve ever made. It was so easy!! For the sake of being (probably overly) useful, I’ve linked a ton of tutorials below.
Other Lining Tutorials:
*** my favorite tutorials.