Orientation Week Blues

Work in Progress Wednesday

I had my college orientation this week, and I got a Wii U, so I’ve been busy and not doing a lot of crafts.

Knitting

Hyrule Warriors Scarf

I’m still plugging away on this. I got quite a bit done at my college orientation, and I’ll be working on it at the RWBY showing I’m going to tonight, so hopefully I’ll make some noticeable progress (the thread it so tiny!)

Spiral Cowl

I haven’t been working on this as much as I should – otherwise it would be done! – because its not as mindless as the Hyrule Warriors Scarf. But I’m almost done! Maybe this afternoon I’ll finish.

Sewing

I finished my Belle Bomber so you should check that out! And I finally got up decent photos of

Advertisements

The Gamer’s Week

Work in Progress Wednesday

We had some friends over last Friday for what we like to call a “crafty day” where everyone sits around and does their own craft and we chat and eat food. I got quite a lot of stuff done then and since its still my summer vacation, I’m still getting a lot done.

But I also started my first job yesterday (eight whole hours!) so that’s been keeping me busy (and sore).

Gamer Quilt Square: Piplup

Embroidery, pokemon

This is for my Favorite Games Quilt that I designed.

img_4745Piplup is my all time favorite Pokemon, partially because he was my first ever (the first Pokemon game I ever played was Pokemon Pearl back when you would walk into a physical Blockbuster’s Store and rent games) and partially because its just a really awesome Pokemon. Skip forward several years (about three months ago) and I was delighted to see that Dawn from the Pokemon TV series agreed with me and picked Piplup as her starter Pokemon!!

This square didn’t take me very long, I did it in about three episodes of Agents of SHIELD (I’m marathoning it with my mom) and two episodes of Ultimate Spiderman (I’m marathoning that by myself when my mom gets sick of watching AoS). Part of that was just checking reference images (for color) and trying to stop the cat from eating my yarn.

I’m really pleased with how it turned out, except for the dark blue on the top of his head. It just turned out a little bit more uneven than I would have liked. I also would have preferred to be able to fill in the beak, but after finishing his feet I was running out of that color, so I opted to stitch around it instead.

 

Credits: 

Star Wars Skirt

fandom, finished project, sewing, Star Wars

img_4445I’m finally finished with the Star Wars skirt that I’ve been working on forever! I started it way back in January, but promptly forgot about it and then lost it. I found it again, recently, and decided to finish it.

I really love the way it fits and feels. I cut it just a little bit shorter than the pattern called for, so that when I wear it a little above my waist (which is where I like to wear things) it falls right to my knees.

Finished Project – Alassë Míriel Hooded Cowl

finished knitting project, finished project, nerdy knitting

I’ve previously mentioned this over on my writing blog, but since I just recently finished it (okay, not really recently), I wanted to share it with all of you!! My Alassë Míriel Hooded Cowl, which is beautiful and I’m certain will be great for the upcoming cold weather.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I used Lion Brand Heartland for the yarn, and it’s unashamedly one of my favorite fibers ever. The draw string is Paton’s Classic Wool Roving left over from my Cable Cape, rather than a ribbon. Even though I chose to use yarn out of necessity, I think I like it and I’ll probably leave it.

Isn't the lace pretty??

Isn’t the lace pretty??

I did actually block this, it’s the first thing I’ve ever bothered to block, and it really did open up the lace more than I thought it would.

About the name: Alassë is Quenya (that’s Tolkien Elvish) for Joy or Merriment and Míriel is the mother of Feanor if you’re familiar with The Silmarillion, and in elvish means Jewel-Woman or Jewel-Daughter. Don’t let me ramble about Miriel or Tolkien, because I will.

If I were to make this again, and to be honest I probably will, I would do more repeats in the body of the hood, to make for a taller hood, and start the decreases sooner, but spread them out more, to make them more subtle.

That reminds me: I did alter the decreases. I found the five stitches at the back of the hood and marked them off. Then I decreased on either side of them, to make a wider area of decreases, and hopefully have less of a line down the back (like I saw in other projects).

My friend also made a version of this, and her’s is black. A few people have jokingly called it a Witch Hat, and I have to agree that it certainly reminds me of one (but it’s really pretty!)

Overall it was a great pattern, and if its your kind of thing, its definitely worth buying!