Orientation Week Blues

Work in Progress Wednesday

I had my college orientation this week, and I got a Wii U, so I’ve been busy and not doing a lot of crafts.

Knitting

Hyrule Warriors Scarf

I’m still plugging away on this. I got quite a bit done at my college orientation, and I’ll be working on it at the RWBY showing I’m going to tonight, so hopefully I’ll make some noticeable progress (the thread it so tiny!)

Spiral Cowl

I haven’t been working on this as much as I should – otherwise it would be done! – because its not as mindless as the Hyrule Warriors Scarf. But I’m almost done! Maybe this afternoon I’ll finish.

Sewing

I finished my Belle Bomber so you should check that out! And I finally got up decent photos of

Advertisements

Sprout

sewing

This is a fun cape crossed with a sweater that I made based on this thing here. I stumbled across it on pinterest and fell in love with it even though the pattern (what little there was of it) was written in Russian.

Bomber Jacket

finished project, sewing

I really love jackets, its kind of a fact of life when you have thyroid problems (because I get cold so easy!) so I’ve decided to start making some of mine. I have a pretty weird taste in clothing – most of my stuff is from junk stores because that’s just what I like – so its hard to find something off the rack (not to mention my arms are abnormally long for a woman).

The portfolio project for this item can be found here.

Ace_(Doctor_Who)I’ve also loved Bomber Jackets since I was introduced to the Doctor Who companion Ace McShane (photo to the left). Hers isn’t exactly my style, I don’t wear that much black (when I can help it anyway, its not my fault all the good fandom shirts are in black!), its a very eighties look, and I don’t like jackets that you have to work that hard to keep on (its much too big for her). So now I get my own bomber jacket, done in colors that are a bit more me.

I stopped by the fabric store and started looking through their patterns for one that I liked – the one that Emily used was French, and although my mom took French in High School she’s pretty rusty at this point and sometimes her help is anything but (love you mom!) – and was finally able to narrow my decision down to one of two patterns: McCall’s M7100 or Butterick B6181. I finally settled on the Butterick Pattern for two reasons; it was on sale (which is always a great thing!) and because the the example for the McCall’s had been sewn in Camo Fabric and that’s always a turn off for me (I live in the south and it is everywhere and gets old very quickly). I’m doing it in two colors like pattern D. Butterick ranks their patterns and claims that this one is “easy.” The jury is still out.

The Jacket

img_4788img_4798I ended up really pleased with what I made. Considering that this is a practice run for the Rapunzel Bomber (because I didn’t want to risk ruining that fabric!) thats cut from an old set of curtains and other random fabric that I think was intended to become curtains that I found in a thrift store (I am NOT joking), it turned out well.

img_4782Its actually pretty flattering on me, except when its zipped up (shown left!) and I have my hands in my pockets, but in the event that I need to do that (its very warm without even zipping it) I’ll be so cold I won’t care about how I look. Theres plenty of room in it – I cut it as a size ten, although I’m actually much closer to an eight – and as you can see in the picture to the right, I can even put a sweater under it (and it looks really nice with that sweater!)

The Pattern

Materials: 

  • Contrast color:
    • The fuzzy blue stuff
  • Main Color
    • The gold fabric
  • 2 yards of 2 inch wide elastic
    • I bought black elastic
  • Fusible Interfacing
    • Sigh. I almost didn’t make this just because of how much I hate working wiht interfacing. Here’s to hoping it turns out better than I’m expecting. (the stuff just never works for me!)
  • Pearl Snaps
    • I already owned these, I inherited them from my grandmother after she passed away and I think they’re beautiful.

Cutting the Fabric

Cut from the Gold

  • Front hem band
  • Front facing

Cut from the Blue

  • Collar
  • Pockets
  • Hem band

Cut from Both

  • Front
  • Back (I cut the liner just a bit wider)
  • Sleeves

Liner

This is an unlined pattern, but I decided that I wanted to add a liner for a variety of reasons including: a little extra warmth (its a pretty thin fabric), added durability, and because it just looks cool.

I bagged the liner, which was the best decision I’ve ever made. It was so easy!! For the sake of being (probably overly) useful, I’ve linked a ton of tutorials below.

Other Lining Tutorials: 

*** my favorite tutorials.

Infinity Scarf

Legend of Zelda, My Tutorials, sewing

Jo Ann’s has fabric with designs from The Legend of Zelda now, so I decided I needed to make myself a scarf.

I think the scarf may have ended up just a little bigger than I intended, and if I were to make it again I’d fix that, but on the whole I really love this scarf and I get a lot of compliments whenever I wear it.

See the scarf on my Portfolio.

Making the Scarf

Materials

  • 1.5 yards of patterned fabric
  • 1.5 yards of complimentary fabric

Its a pretty simple pattern, all I did was cut two rectangles of each fabric (so four total) which measured 40 inches by 15 inches. Then I laid them out, right sides together, and sewed them up following a method a lot like this.

New Pattern: Snow Drop Cowl

finished knitting project, finished project, knitting, knitting pattern, Ravelry

This is the prettiest thing I’ve ever designed, if I do say so myself (and I can so I shall!). The Snow Drop cowl is knit up quickly with large needles, so there’s no worrying about time constraints. You could easily make it in a few hours.