To celebrate having made over ten posts on my Etsy account, I’m having a sale this week of 10% off all items. No code is needed.
I had my college orientation this week, and I got a Wii U, so I’ve been busy and not doing a lot of crafts.
I’m still plugging away on this. I got quite a bit done at my college orientation, and I’ll be working on it at the RWBY showing I’m going to tonight, so hopefully I’ll make some noticeable progress (the thread it so tiny!)
I haven’t been working on this as much as I should – otherwise it would be done! – because its not as mindless as the Hyrule Warriors Scarf. But I’m almost done! Maybe this afternoon I’ll finish.
I finished my Belle Bomber so you should check that out! And I finally got up decent photos of
This is a fun cape crossed with a sweater that I made based on this thing here. I stumbled across it on pinterest and fell in love with it even though the pattern (what little there was of it) was written in Russian.
Initially, this was going to be called the “Red Nancy Drew Jacket” because it looks like something the infamous sleuth would wear, however, I began to realize, as I was piecing it together, that it also looked like something that Sherlock Holmes would wear (or at least, if he was a female). So I changed the name to reflect one of Sherlock’s most infamous stories (and his first).
I’m so totally in love with this coat that its not even funny. I want to wear it all the time which isn’t even possible right now because of the weather (when I photographed this thing it was over 80 degrees fahrenheit outside). I’m a bit afraid that the sleeves will be annoying or too bulky to wear under my backpack straps this fall, but I’m going to try and pray that it works, because its too nice not to.
For the most part I followed the pattern exactly, only altering a few times (either because I didn’t want to do a certain technique or because the pattern was unclear so I decided to run with it and do my own thing).
Its a pretty simple pattern, although, for being a “Learn to Sew” pattern that was supposed to teach things, I found myself having to google a lot and the main thing that it was supposed to teach me – using bias tape to sew an underarm sleeve, is a pretty specific skill. I don’t see myself using it often enough to have made this just to learn that.
Alterations & Problems
We had some friends over last Friday for what we like to call a “crafty day” where everyone sits around and does their own craft and we chat and eat food. I got quite a lot of stuff done then and since its still my summer vacation, I’m still getting a lot done.
But I also started my first job yesterday (eight whole hours!) so that’s been keeping me busy (and sore).
My prom dress from Junior Prom last year was phenomenal, everyone said so. My principal even told me that I looked like Grace Kelly (yes I died a little when she said that). So I knew that I would have to top it this year for Senior Prom (as a final farewell to my high school). I also knew that prom this year would be bittersweet after the death of Michael, whom I went with last year (read about how cool he was here).
I’ve set this up as a bit of a timeline, because I think that’s a fun way to display craft projects that take weeks.
I did a lot of sewing this week, a lot, and barely got any knitting (or anything else….) done. I’m having a craft party on Friday, which is not the best time to use a sewing machine, so hopefully I will get some other stuff done then.
The first of two Esjan (pattern by Stephen West) shawls that I’m working on. This one only needs cast off. Its a very belated prayer shawl for a friend.
I plan to cast off during the party Friday.
The other Esjan which is for me in bright, metallic yarn.
All I have left for this capelet is a bit of messing with the collar, and tightening up a seam in the under arm (and then actually posting about it).
I’m debating if I want to actually finish the very end of the underarms on this or not. I probably should, but they don’t show (at all!) and they really look like they’re going to be a pain…..
This I’m making out of scrap fabric that I got dirt cheap at a thrift store (I actually think at least one of the bits used to be curtains), as practice before I get started on the one with the fabric I actually paid decent money for (the purple stuff).
My goal on this is to have the liner and the outside completely finished by Friday, so that during the party I can iron the seams (and maybe tack some of them down by hand). I’m bagging the lining because the pattern didn’t come with its own liner, unfortunately.
Its called the Belle bomber because the velvet and brocade fabrics remind me of 18th century France, which is when Disney’s Beauty and the Beast is set.
The bomber with fabric I actually paid more for (its in two shades of purple, hence the reference to Rapunzel’s purple dress in Tangled). I think I might buy some flower brocade that I saw the other day and add some flowers on for decoration.
I didn’t mean to buy this much, all I wanted was the edge for Sprout, but there was a sale on patterns………… and then I needed fabric for the patterns……
I’ve been wanting a simple, silk-ish bomber jacket for a while, and the Walkaway dress is something else I love (I love anything vintage, actually).
I also visited a second hand store, which is where I picked up all the fabric shown above. Its just random amounts of some very strange fabric that I don’t have a set plan for yet, but thats okay because it was dirt cheap.
For my bomber jacket I picked up two purple synthetic fabrics. They resemble silk, in a way, but are much cheaper than the fabric itself (and I love the color so, so much.)
I also picked up some interfacing.
I stopped by the store the other day to pick up some things that I’ll be using for crafts.