This is a fun cape crossed with a sweater that I made based on this thing here. I stumbled across it on pinterest and fell in love with it even though the pattern (what little there was of it) was written in Russian.
I really love jackets, its kind of a fact of life when you have thyroid problems (because I get cold so easy!) so I’ve decided to start making some of mine. I have a pretty weird taste in clothing – most of my stuff is from junk stores because that’s just what I like – so its hard to find something off the rack (not to mention my arms are abnormally long for a woman).
The portfolio project for this item can be found here.
I’ve also loved Bomber Jackets since I was introduced to the Doctor Who companion Ace McShane (photo to the left). Hers isn’t exactly my style, I don’t wear that much black (when I can help it anyway, its not my fault all the good fandom shirts are in black!), its a very eighties look, and I don’t like jackets that you have to work that hard to keep on (its much too big for her). So now I get my own bomber jacket, done in colors that are a bit more me.
I stopped by the fabric store and started looking through their patterns for one that I liked – the one that Emily used was French, and although my mom took French in High School she’s pretty rusty at this point and sometimes her help is anything but (love you mom!) – and was finally able to narrow my decision down to one of two patterns: McCall’s M7100 or Butterick B6181. I finally settled on the Butterick Pattern for two reasons; it was on sale (which is always a great thing!) and because the the example for the McCall’s had been sewn in Camo Fabric and that’s always a turn off for me (I live in the south and it is everywhere and gets old very quickly). I’m doing it in two colors like pattern D. Butterick ranks their patterns and claims that this one is “easy.” The jury is still out.
I ended up really pleased with what I made. Considering that this is a practice run for the Rapunzel Bomber (because I didn’t want to risk ruining that fabric!) thats cut from an old set of curtains and other random fabric that I think was intended to become curtains that I found in a thrift store (I am NOT joking), it turned out well.
Its actually pretty flattering on me, except when its zipped up (shown left!) and I have my hands in my pockets, but in the event that I need to do that (its very warm without even zipping it) I’ll be so cold I won’t care about how I look. Theres plenty of room in it – I cut it as a size ten, although I’m actually much closer to an eight – and as you can see in the picture to the right, I can even put a sweater under it (and it looks really nice with that sweater!)
- Contrast color:
- The fuzzy blue stuff
- Main Color
- The gold fabric
- 2 yards of 2 inch wide elastic
- I bought black elastic
- Fusible Interfacing
- Sigh. I almost didn’t make this just because of how much I hate working wiht interfacing. Here’s to hoping it turns out better than I’m expecting. (the stuff just never works for me!)
- Pearl Snaps
- I already owned these, I inherited them from my grandmother after she passed away and I think they’re beautiful.
Cutting the Fabric
Cut from the Gold
- Front hem band
- Front facing
Cut from the Blue
- Hem band
Cut from Both
- Back (I cut the liner just a bit wider)
This is an unlined pattern, but I decided that I wanted to add a liner for a variety of reasons including: a little extra warmth (its a pretty thin fabric), added durability, and because it just looks cool.
I bagged the liner, which was the best decision I’ve ever made. It was so easy!! For the sake of being (probably overly) useful, I’ve linked a ton of tutorials below.
Other Lining Tutorials:
- Tilly and the Buttons: Sewaholic’s Guest Post
- Threads Magazine: Bag Your Jacket Lining
- Nicolle at Home: Hong Kong Tutorial
- Grainline Studio: Adding a Liner to an Unlined Blazer ***
- Emma One Sock: Bagging a Lining
- GSTQ Fashions: Cosplay Q&A Jacket Linings
- Untrained Housewife: Why Bother Lining?
- Masque Cosplay: Lining Your Costumes, Why Do It?
- I saw a lot that was specifically for the Rigel Bomber Jacket, so here are the ones I found to be useful and worth the look (almost all of them seem to be from a “Rigel Bomber January” a few years back).
- Katy and Laney: Lining a Rigel Bomber Jacket
- Macskakat: Lining a Rigel Bomber Jacket
- Ginger Makes: Lining a Rigel Bomber Jacket ***
- Llady Bird: Rigel Bomber ***
- Sew Dixie Lou: Rigel Bomber
- Sewn by Elizabeth: Lined Rigel Take 2
- Revesmecanique: Finally Rigel Bomber
- Seam Stresser In: Lined & Embroidered Rigel Bomber
*** my favorite tutorials.
My prom dress from Junior Prom last year was phenomenal, everyone said so. My principal even told me that I looked like Grace Kelly (yes I died a little when she said that). So I knew that I would have to top it this year for Senior Prom (as a final farewell to my high school). I also knew that prom this year would be bittersweet after the death of Michael, whom I went with last year (read about how cool he was here).
- Old Wedding Dress
- Fabric Dye
- I used Rit Dye More in Peacock Green
- Misc Sewing Supplies
I’ve set this up as a bit of a timeline, because I think that’s a fun way to display craft projects that take weeks.
I’m finally finished with the Star Wars skirt that I’ve been working on forever! I started it way back in January, but promptly forgot about it and then lost it. I found it again, recently, and decided to finish it.
I really love the way it fits and feels. I cut it just a little bit shorter than the pattern called for, so that when I wear it a little above my waist (which is where I like to wear things) it falls right to my knees.